5.19.2010

. corner view-collections




Today's corner view is collections and mine is a doozy. I have a locket obsession/fetish...but let's go with collection, shall we?

One of my favorite things to do is flea, and one of the highlights is a locket. They speak to me(enter Twilight Zone theme song here)-honest they do. I have lockets with people's names that I will never know, who have stories I will never hear, and somehow those lockets, when they are in a box filled with junk, must be mine. Some I clean and update with stones, others I look at and admire, but wonder why they are mine. They have past lives, and something about that touches me and makes me ache. Why are they here and not being loved by someone? Who knows. All I know is I have not been able to part with any. People have literally tried to by certain lockets off of my neck, no joke, and here I am peddling leather.

My favorite locket story is about my heart locket, a locket I wear probably 360 days a year. It must be that to my kids it represents me, a part of who I am, as my only son, soon to turn 16, often says "Momma when you are gone, promise me that will be mine." I have three girls, so knowing my son looks at that necklace and sees a piece of me he can keep forever means one thing.

It's his.

What do you collect?

See other corner views here.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, your son! What a lovely story.

    Oddly enough, I don't collect anything. I have a few vintage caftans but not enough to call them a "collection."

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post. I have a few vintage lockets, too. one that I bought before I met my husband happened to have the initial of his last name on it....

    thanks for showing us these treasures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. You killed me with that story. I love it that your boy took notice of such a detail. Aaaaawwwww. Tears.

    I don't really collect anything in particular. Although I do have a small collection of acrylic/lucite grapes scattered around the house. Otherwise, I just have a lot of stuff. ;0)

    BTW, does one of those pretty lockets have an NP monogram???

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you are done with this locket obsession. and i think you are going to pass these lockets on to ME. i wish! yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nkp-I know. He kills me. I know I have told you and that you know, but boys are so very tender and love momma. I am going to look at these monograms. I have no idea what the hell half of them are as they are such tight script. I think you could say it was anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some looks vintage, and Love Vintage everthing Esp vintage people, My grandparents rock my face off!!!! LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard. What a sweetheart! I collect so many things - postcards, photography, art, books, oh, and shoes. Can't forget about the shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story. Come see what we collect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I officially have locket envy! Yours are stunning.

    Your son's story is so touching. What a sweetheart.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is too sweet. and i know what you mean about boys... :) hey- i also always wear a locket- parallel lives my dear...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love lockets. They say romance, history, liason's, sadness and a whole lot more. I think of the necks that they hung round and what sort of lives they lived and what stories they could tell. And......your son is a STAR. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like your attire - so vintage - so beautiful - nice collection =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. -A Perfect Gray-that is nuts! How cool. Meant to be. And, Jane, not at all surprised. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a moving sentiment from your son. I love them. Your collection is exceptional.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Yes, yes, tell me!